I live my life by a set of principles, these shape my ideas but I try not to let them influence them. This is a blog about the evolution of my ideas, watch them grow, adapt and change.



Sunday 25 November 2012

Lets get philosophical

Why do we crave to be skinny?


It was not too long ago when curves were the ‘ideal’ for women. The recent shift from curves to super skinny has caused detrimental effects to girls as young as 8. Recently I have heard and read a lot of people standing against the notion of this stating that they desire to be curvy. Lets be honest… Don’t lie. If we could all be as skinny as half of the catwalk coat hanger models walking down the runways in the ever so popular fashion weeks- we would… wouldn’t we? Call me a bias source but I would kill to have my hip bones protruding and a concave chest. But why?


Ok so here’s the theory that I have been subject to recently. For this super skinny phenomenon we can blame the ever so brightly minded marketers of the fashion industry. Through the super skinny models we are constantly exposed to creates a gap in our mind of which the fashion industry seeks to take advantage of. Stated as our ‘ideal self’ gap is pressed upon when we see the most gorgeous clothes on stick thin models making them look so much better. Marketers take advantage of this by promoting the fact that we look like them when we wear the clothes. But we don’t; hence why they are ever so successful at selling us these trends and FADS.

We aspire to be skinny but realistically it goes against the biological anthropology of our being. Skinny hips and tiny tits are not what men seek, so why do we keep on aspiring to this? Well, honestly, it is what the industry of that so many of us follow and bow to. Even though there are so many sources fighting the change of industry, wanting curves. I can say in my opinion it is not going to work. It is fact that the clothes that the designers are creating twice a year look better on skinny women.


How long until the curve revolution reforms? Despite the fighting of many anorexia and bulimia charities this revolution will take atleast 20 years to reform. But us, the generation that have fallen victim to this skinny scandal… Will this stay embedded in our minds or will we be able to follow the change?

No comments:

Post a Comment